Weekly Blog Series
Clearing and Balancing Chakras with Mudras and Mantras
- The word Chakra is from Sanskrit, it means wheel or disk. Chakras are disk-like energy centers located in a straight line along the spine, beginning at the base of the spine and finishing over the top of the head. There are seven major chakras.
- They rotate energy through our systems, which affects our physical, intellectual and emotional functions of our body, mind and spirit.
- Imbalances in chakras lead to imbalances in body, mind, and spirit and can eventually lead to ill health.
- Each chakra is associated with a different color of the rainbow, distinct parts of the body, and with particular functions of consciousness and emotions.
- The colors are in the order of the rainbow colors beginning with red for the Root Chakra, orange for the Sacral Chakra, yellow for the Solar Plexis Chakra, green for the Heart Chakra, blue for the Throat Chakra, indigo for the Third Eye Chakra, and violet or clear for the Crown Chakra.
- Each chakra’s energy vibrates and rotates at a different speed. The root or first Chakra rotates at the slowest speed and the Crown or Seventh Chakra at the highest.
- A chakra may start moving too fast creating excessive energy or too slow creating deficient energy or may get altogether blocked, creating
- Chakras vary in size, depending on their level of activity. When highly active and energized, they can expand to the size of a small plate. They can shrink to the size of a penny when closed or shut down. When in balance, they are about the size of a silver dollar or orange.
Mantras work on two levels:
- First, the position of your mouth triggers small Chakra points in your tongue and face that are directly linked to the main Chakra points. By awakening these positions, it increases the flow of energy through your chakras, unblocking and opening them.
- Second, when you mentally focus on the area of your body that needs healing, you automatically send energy to that area.A crude example is a clogged toilet…to unclog it you use a plunger to force the blockage out. Likewise, mantras focus the energy to the Chakra and force the energy through to unblock it.
Chant the mantra out loud (like chanting Om) 3-5 times while focusing on the specific Chakra.
Now let’s balance your root chakra!
Begin by sitting in your favorite meditation position, with your spine straight, following your breath and release all tension in your body…relax.
Chant “Lam” three times…Remember the “a” is pronounced “ah” (like the “a” in father).
This coming week balance your root chakra everyday. Use the suggestions in the Easy Ways to Bring Balance section, perhaps carry one of the suggested gem stones with you or use the essential oils, and the easiest is to eat grounding foods.
Next week we will balance the Sacral Chakra!